Howdy, Class of 2027!
Welcome to the Freshman Leadership Advisory Council (FLAC) website! This is your one-stop shop to get information on Freshman Leadership Organizations (FLOs) at Texas A&M University. Here, you can learn more about our member organizations, the recruitment schedule, and how to apply.
Please tune in to the All-FLO Informational on August 22nd, 2023, at 6 P.M on YouTube.
What is a FLO?
A FLO is a Freshman Leadership Organization. There are 24 at Texas A&M University-College Station, see the list of all the FLOs by clicking the “FLOs” tab. FLOs have frequent meetings, service projects, and programs like most other organizations on campus. However, what helps make FLOs different from other organizations on campus is the freshmen focus. It’s the ultimate goal of each FLO staff to help ensure that freshmen members have a successful first year of college.
Many FLOs choose to focus on specifics aspect of university life, such as a specific college or interest. FLOs also uniquely interact through All-FLO events, which are social gatherings, competitions, and service events that occur throughout the year.
Why Join A FLO?
Besides for all the fun you will have and the relationships you will have the opportunity to build at the university, the research shows that those who are actively involved in college in a healthy way have better outcomes towards their future careers. This includes better GPAs, persist towards graduation, and more. Don’t just take our words for it, we run data comparing those involved in FLOs to the rest of the Freshmen A&M class and we found the following for last year’s cohort of freshmen in FLOs:
- Students in a FLO persisted to their second semester of freshmen year at a higher rate from fall 2019 to spring 2020 than students not in a FLO
- All FLOs maintained above a 3.0 GPA for both the fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters
- Students in a FLO had a higher GPA for both semesters when compared to students who were not in a FLO
- There was a statistical significant difference between those students not in a FLO and six individual FLOs (Fish Aides, FLIC, FREE, MSC ALOT, MSC FISH, and PREP)
If you would like to look at the complete summary report click here – FLO Academic Performance FY2020
How to Apply:
The Freshman Leadership Advisory Council, FLAC, is starting the Fall 2023 FLO Recruitment, Application, Interview, and selections process. This being said, the process starts virtual and moves to in-person the first week of class! Some things to look forward to in the recruitment process are:
- Takeovers of the FLAC Instagram by each of the 24 FLOs
- A livestream of the All-FLO Informational
- An All-FLO In-Person Meet & Greet in Aggie Park
- FLAC coordinated non-overlapping informationals for each FLO (Posted on the “Schedule” Tab)
- Each FLO has also been encouraged to provide some additional opportunities to engage with them outside of the informationals
- Completely online singular application process where you can apply to any/all the FLOs you would like (Access on the “Apply” Tab)
- You can access the online application portal here beginning after the Livestream
- Completely online Interview signups
Needless to say, FLAC has safety, access, and your engagement in mind!
Which organizations are FLOs?
Check the list of official member organizations here!
What is FLAC?
We are the Freshman Leadership Advisory Council. We are student leaders and a full-time staff Advisor who serve as the over-arching body of the 24 official FLOs. Since FLOs are members of FLAC, we coordinate recruitment between them, create events, establish rules, and uphold standards to ensure every FLO provides a quality experience. FLAC is not a FLO. We are a staff of a few members to keeps things running smoothly throughout the year. Please contact us if you have any concerns about the FLO system.
Connect with us on Social Media